WHAT IS NAMI BIRMINGHAM
NAMI Birmingham is an affiliate of the nation’s leading advocacy organization that is dedicated to improving the lives of persons with mental illness through education, advocacy, research and support. It is a volunteer organization exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code.
What Do We Do?
- Networks information and disseminates materials about mental health treatment and resources
- Advocates for improved services, treatment and care for persons with mental health issues.
- Establishes support groups so families dealing with issues of mental health need not feel alienated or alone
- Provides valuable information to enlighten mental health professionals regarding the family perspective
- Encourages expanding research into effective treatment for mental health
- Works to eliminate stigma associated with mental health by providing accurate information to the public about the true nature of mental illness and its impact on individuals, family members and the community
- Sponsors conferences and educational programs for individuals, their families, health care professionals, and mental health providers
- Offers various projects and events for peers, their families, health care professionals, and mental health providers
- Supports mental health programs and services that are evidence-based
Please mark your calendar for Saturday, September 27, 2014 at Railroad Park in Birmingham. NAMI Birmingham willhost their Annual National Mental Illness Awareness Walk. Please click here for more information.